Monday, September 1, 2008

A Violent Sight on a 'Silent Night' - A Dalit Carol from Psalm 23

(When Christians were attacked and Churches were burnt during Christmas 2007 in Khandamal, Orissa i was part of the solidarity mission team, which went to witness the attacked sites and to be in solidarity with the Christians who have been attacked. Having witnessed the attacked sites and the victimised people, one is but struck with shock as the attacks on Dalit Christians is so brutal and inhuman. The situation in Khandamal was so grim and disturbing. The Dalit Christians over there witnessed that "their faith in Jesus Christ cannot be shaken with these brutal incidents". It was a real challenging experience for me to be with the people, listening to their stories and their committment for the gospel of Jesus Christ.After witnessing the attacked sites, in my personal meditation, I read Psalm 23, and I had to read it from the perspective of the victims, who are living in fear and trauma. Since it is during the Christmas time, I thought in a context of violence and fear, this is how a carol can be sung in this situation.)

Re-reading of Psalm 23 from a victim’s perspective

Is the Lord is my Shepherd? I shall want you now
You promised me to make me lie down in green pastures; but why these saffron attacks on us,
You promised me to lead me still waters; but why this rain of fire on us,
You promised me to restore my soul; but now we have to run to save our lives and soul
You promised me to lead me in right paths; but why are we pathless hiding in jungles
Lord all this for we bear your name?

We are walking thro’ the darkest valley,
Come now O Lord our Shepherd to rescue us
I fear all evil now with trauma and fear
Come now O Lord our Shepherd to comfort us
Are you with me?

We need your rod to shield us now
And your staff to guide us

Will you prepare a table before us?
Where peace and reconciliation is mediated between us and those attacked us
We are waiting for your anointing of peace
May our cups of agony be replaced with your cups of comfort

You promised that goodness and mercy would follow us
Is it for sure?
If so we need it for all our community for all the days of our lives
Let our burnt houses and churches are re-built, so that we continue to dwell in them

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it was very good though provoking nice, i pray to God, that you should be used mightily in His service. thank you for u r letter

Unknown said...

Good Remember God has his own ways....

Unknown said...

It is really heart-rending to read Psalm 23 as you have done. Lord, be a shephrd of your flock, your chosen people, who has chosen you to be their Lord and shepherd. How long will you allow them, Lord, to bear all these brutalities. Be with them, Lord, in these calamities, consoling them, protecting them and guiding them! September 1, 6.35 p.m.

In the context of the ongoing war in the land of the Holy-One, which side do you support?

When nearly 9000 people are killed in this brutal war, Which side do I support?   When civilians, hospitals and places of worship, churches ...