Thursday, September 12, 2019

To Paul: A Letter from Onesimus - Postcolonial Response to Philemon 1



Dear father Paul,

Onesimus, a liberated person in Christ Jesus, a freed slave from Philemon.

To Paul, my dear father who showed God’s grace to me as a fellow prisoner at Rome – also to Timothy, Epaphras, Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, to Junia, Lydia, Priscilla, Phoebe, Tabitha, Chloe, and several other women whose names have been forgotten and erased,  who supports Paul and his fellow workers in Christ – and to the house churches that you keep travelling and writing to:

Grace and peace to you from God our liberator and the Lord Jesus Christ, who has freed us from all bondages.

I always thank our God for your passion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Specially I thank you for your letter to Philemon appealing him in love to seek reconciliation with me. I know your love for Christ, love for church and your love for people. I thank you for building partnerships among people transcending the barriers of class and ethnicity, thereby giving a true meaning to koinonia. Your love and discipleship for Christ has given me great joy and encouragement in strengthening our church for love, because you my father and brother have refreshed and inspired the hearts of God’s people.



Therefore, I prefer to appeal to you on the basis of love as you have appealed to Philemon in my case. It is none other than Onesimus – a man to be judged by the content of the Christian character and not to be judged by the colour of my skin or by the status I previously held as a slave for I am freed from slavery and bondage by Christ Jesus and I remain to enjoy that liberation Christ has granted to me.  I appeal to you my as a son who shared prison and prison experiences with you for we both experienced suffering under the empire and knew what it was to be in chains, although my chains were different than yours. Formerly when I was a slave, I was considered useless, was treated as a property, looked down as a sub-human and was subjected to all kinds of humiliation for I was perceived as a non-person.

As I explained to you the kinds of torture and suffering me and my household had to endure because of slavery. Those sufferings made me strong as a person to resist them and stand for a just system where all human beings are treated equally. For the cause of promoting life, for the cause of envisioning a just society and for the cause of giving a liberative legacy for my children, I had to ran away from Philemon. I was imprisoned for such a cause, and that’s where the love of Christ encountered me through your fellowship.

I specially want to thank you for taking my debt on you and proved how important a Christian value it is to cancel debts on poor people as an important Christian discipleship marker. By taking my debt on you, you have shown me in practice the love of Christ who took my debts on him on the Cross, for I could experience it in my life. Thank you also for writing to Philemon to receive me as he would receive you, once again emphasising the importance of welcome and reception to anyone and everyone by the love of Christ. In that reception as exhorted by you my brother Philemon has received me as a brother, as a member of his family. I knew what it was to be a slave in his household once, and I also have experienced his love as a family member, which was because of the love of Christ. Ever since then Philemon has treated me as a partner in the mission of God for we continued to work together for the realisation of God’s Kingdom here on earth. Many wondered what a beautiful sight it was to see the master and his previous slave work together as brothers and partners, which was just because of the love of and for Christ.

On a final note, dear father Paul allow me to appeal to you to call any practice of any form of slavery as sinful and unchristian, for in Christ we are all one. Any form of racism, casteism, gender discrimination, patriarchy, trafficking, child labour and such other practices, which are modern forms of slavery does not fit into the gospel of Jesus Christ, and therefore we as a Church should resist such forms and stand in solidarity for justice in every given context. Christ has come to set people like me free and I believe and will work to liberate all people who are chained in any form of bondage as a gospel imperative for me.

You are always welcome to come and stay with us and enjoy our African hospitality. My wife and children and all our Churches join me in sending their greetings to you.

The grace of our Lord and Liberator Jesus Christ, the love of God, who calls us to freedom and dignity of all people, and the communion of Holy Spirit who partakes in all our struggles for peace be with us all now and forever.

Your fellow worker in Christ,
Onesimus 



@rajpatta
September 2019

No comments:

In the context of the ongoing war in the land of the Holy-One, which side do you support?

When nearly 9000 people are killed in this brutal war, Which side do I support?   When civilians, hospitals and places of worship, churches ...