Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Magnificat & its Magnitude

Re-reading the Canticle of the Virgin Mary
Luke 1: 46-55

My soul is deeply wounded with hurts, insults and pains
And my spirits are drowning in the floods of sorrows and rains
my soul still glorifies the Lord, seeking justice as all gains
And my spirits rejoice in God my saviour despite my stains & strains

When I am rejected and discriminated as polluted
People conspired, laughed at me, brought me to public and collated
For except you O Lord none has been mindful
Of me your humble servant to do any thing needful

Though all my family members call me cursed
Blaming me that I made the image of our family bruised,
But there will come a day when all generations call me blessed
For the Might One has been doing me great things so impressed.

As a Wonderful Counsellor, God solaced and comforted me as lovingly yours
As a Mighty One, God strengthened me with all God’s powers
As an Everlasting God, God journeyed with me in my darkest hours
As a Prince of Peace, God encouraged me to win over all conflicting towers
For holy is God’s name and truly victory flowers

When I am surrounded by fear
When I am pushed down to death near
I could only fear God who is so dear
Realising that God’s mercy is with me now here
From generations to generations vivid and clear

When several arms geared up to stone me to death,
God’s mighty arm guarded me from above and beneath;
When the proud religious heads gathered to take me for a ride,
God scattered the pride, saving me as his bride

Those that are drunk with power and are lusted with hierarchy,
God will throw down such to their cruelty and anarchy;
God shall lift up those who are humble and suffer sinful tyranny
For God shares freedom to both few and many.

Those that go to bed every day in hunger,
Those that curse the selfish accumulators in anger,
God will fill them with good things satisfying
And sends the rich empty, for God it’s justifying

God has always remembered to be prudent and merciful
Helping all the slaves in the history to be liberated in their full
Making all our ancestors to be such channels so graceful
Leaving a legacy to carry forward and be fruitful

(This Magnificat has been re-read by juxtaposing two important contexts. One situating Mother Mary as a young woman, who faced great challenges in her society as she had to be conceived even before she knew her husband Joseph, and the other in light of the realities of violence against women, a continuing reality in all histories.)

4 comments:

Zoesophia said...

May the Peace and Blessing of Jesus the Galilean be with you and with the Dalit women! For the justaposition of Mary and the Dalit women, who are both pregment with the liberating life is a creative convergence for the 21st century and the common resistance agaist the oppressive of the regime of this world.

I appreciated your poetic hermeneutics very much!

Yong-Bock Kim

rev rajendra mekala said...

you are very talented,may the Christmas child use you mightily for the sake of Daliths.
rev rejendra mekala

GOD $ U said...

MR.Pitta... i dont know u much.. but telling u my openion... everythng we see is a part of gods creation.. if he feels like violence aganist women is bad why is he letting all this happen. hmm do u feel like he is sleeping now.. no. pitta.. see for what all we do we need to suffer hear only...ur one sided . . .very narrow.. think with good zeal and write some nice poem... do something for society.. do be centerted to women.. u r sick so only talking like that...hmm even men are suppressed now a days.. buy y ru not worried about it being a man...hmm see pitta.. things has to move on so only god made himself crusified by his ppl.. so dont worry pitta for all god has a purpus.. it on that day eve had not taken that apple our life would have been different.. see u dont know their mind. so dont be centered.. i belive not guys do 100 percent mistake.. even girls part has 50 percent in everything happening now a days... good that your english and frame work is good... but i strongly belive better if u be what ur ... may be ur hurt.. dont try to talk with me.. i have given u my address for communiation.. use that.. i am male .... ok

NicqiA said...

Raj,
Bless you for your timely and thought-provoking thoughts. As usual, you insist that I do not get all selfish and mindless in my activities during this season and in my daily walk.
May I use [a part of] the poem in a service of solidarity with women who have been abused in Guyana, please? Thank you.
Nicqi from Jamaica

In the context of the ongoing war in the land of the Holy-One, which side do you support?

When nearly 9000 people are killed in this brutal war, Which side do I support?   When civilians, hospitals and places of worship, churches ...